My eldest son struggles with spelling so I am always looking for resources to help him improve his spelling. Spelling City has been a very helpful resource for my family. It is customizable and is a great tool to use with your favorite spelling program. Spelling City is a free website that is fun and simple to use.
What’s Included for Free Members
- Teach Me Each word is read aloud, spelled letter-by-letter, and used in a sentence.
- Play a Game Students choose from a variety of activities to reinforce the spelling words.
- Spelling Test Students take a practice test online. Each word is read aloud, used in a sentence, and then read again. After finishing a test, students receive immediate feedback.
How it works
- After you register, you will have access to many of the features on the website, some are only available to paid members.
- Use the List Management section to create your own spelling lists or choose from a variety of lists available on the website.
- Students select their spelling list and choose from a variety of activities including Teach Me, Play a Game, and Test Me. There are more options with a paid subscription, but we find the free activities meet our needs as a supplement resource.
For the parent
- Can be used as a supplement to any spelling curriculum.
- There are thousands of words already in the Spelling City database, however if a word you enter is not already there, you can add it along with your own definition and/or sentence to be included in your student’s list.
- Your saved lists are on your Spelling City home page for easy access.
- There are teacher training videos to help you.
- Test results can be printed for your review or records.
For the student
- The website is easy to navigate; making it possible for students to work independently.
- Words and sentences are spoken by a human voice and are easy to understand. Many programs we have tried have a “robotic” voice and are sometimes difficult to understand, this tends to frustrate my children.
- Students receive immediate feedback.
- Some activities can be printed, making it easier for a student who prefers to work with paper and pencil.
Spelling City is a great resource to supplement your current spelling curriculum, whether you use the free resources or decide to subscribe to the premium option.
~ Written by Heidi S. @ Heidi’s Miscellany
We love SpellingCity! My ADHD child is able to focus much better on her spelling and vocabulary because most of the activities are game-based.
We started out with the free version, but wanted to add vocabulary practice, so we moved up to the premium version. It’s wonderful; so glad we did. It’s not expensive. I paid $29.99 for a one year subscription. You can have 5 kids on one subscription.
Homeschooling is such fun.
Heidi Stearns says
It is so nice when you find something that works for your family, isn’t it? I love that Spelling City offers free activities as well as the Premium membership to meet the needs of all homeschoolers, regardless of their budget. And I agree, homeschooling is a blast!