Oh my! I just love this downloadable map quiz game! My girls have been using this program for a few years now and they still have fun when it’s time to learn their world geography! No moaning or dragging of heels in this area of learning.
In our home, I have the girls each spend 10 minutes, three times a week on this game. I usually focus on whatever continent we are looking at in history readings. So for example, we have been learning about Roman Britain, so we have focused on the continent of Europe and on the British Isles. They know where all the countries of Europe are and have just started on all the capital cities. Next will be flags.
Seterra has been around since 1988. It has been so popular and is so well-loved that it has been translated into 13 (and counting) languages. Using this free – yes, I said FREE – download you can learn the geography of:
- *Locations of the U.S States and state capitals
- * Provence’s of China
- *Flags and capitals of Africa
- *South America and Asia
- * Volcanoes around the world
*AND SO MUCH MORE!
The list just goes on and on. Click here for the complete list of quizzes. I have found this game to be the most comprehensive geography game I have come across!
So here’s the way it works…
Lets say you want your children to learn the States of America. You would..
- *Select from the front page menu on the left-hand side menu bar ‘North America’
- * This brings up a more detailed menu giving you 19 options to choose from (I did say it was comprehensive :o)
- *You would make your selection. Perhaps you want to focus on the states of the Midwest and the West, or South and Northeast, or just do the whole lot! I love this feature because you can challenge the child that streaks ahead or choose a less overwhelming option for a younger child.
- *Once you have selected your option, a map pops up. It asks the user to ‘click on….state….’
- *The user gets 3 chances before the game reveals the location.
- *Each game scores and times the child. My girls love this as they are challenged on their accuracy and speed each time they practice.
System Requirements to download this game:
- *Seterra 4.0 runs under Windows XP. Windows Vista and Windows 7.
- *If you are using an older version of Windows you might want to download version 3.0 instead. This will run on any version of Microsoft Windows: Windows 95, 98, 2000. Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7.
*There is an option to play online if you are not able to or not keen to download the game onto your computer.
What I love about Seterra is that not only can your students learn their world geography in a fun way, but they can go back at any time and review previously learned material – keeping their geography skills sharp and retaining learned info!
I can honestly say that this is one tool that should be on top of any home schooling moms ‘Must Have’ list!
Shirley blogs at ‘ Under An English Sky’ where she shares about their seasonal living, faith-filled, Charlotte Mason inspired home schooling days.
Leave a Reply