Everywhere we look deciduous trees are giving us the most fabulous display. It is the perfect time to take a deeper look at deciduous trees in your nature study time using this Delightful Deciduous Trees Unit Study.
Deciduous trees are giant flowering plants. They include oaks, maples, and beeches, and they grow in many parts of the world. The word deciduous means to “fall off,” and every fall these trees shed their leaves. Most deciduous trees are broad-leaved, with wide, flat leaves.
Affiliate links are used on this website. Please see our disclosure policy for more details.
NaturExplorers: Delightful Deciduous Trees Unit Study
Available From: Our Journey Westward
Age: 5 – 13 years
Is this 62 page unit study ever packed with ideas! It has been beautifully researched and put together. I have had my eye on a few NaturExplorers unit studies for some time now and I have to say that now that I have my hands on one – I am NOT disappointed!
The first thing that jumped out at me was that I could simply use this product as a bit of a guide (great for experienced homeschoolers), or I could really jump in and use at as a complete unit study (fab if you are just finding your feet).
What’s Inside Delightful Deciduous Trees?
Delightful Deciduous Trees has plenty of background info on the topic to inspire you and give you the confidence you need as the teacher. Inside this unit study you can expect to find:
- Ideas for you nature walk and other outside activity suggestions
- Kid-friendly internet links relating to the topic
- Loads of fabulous notebooking pages to print off
- Ideas for you to tie in Bible Study, Composer Study, Art Appreciation and Poetry
- Literature tie-ins
- Hands-on follow up activities
- Writing and Research ideas (Love this! I don’t have to craft them myself 🙂
- Ideas on how to adapt the unit study to younger and older children AND group ideas (great for co-ops)
What I Loved About Delightful Deciduous Trees
I loved the pages in the beginning on ‘How to Use This Book’. Even as a seasoned homeschooler I found these pages full of helpful suggestions that inspired me to look at things with ‘fresh’ eyes.
I also loved that this unit study has ideas and notebooking pages for you to continue your tree study through all the seasons, so this is a unit study that just keeps on giving 😉 We have particularly enjoyed tying in our Art Appreciation and Composer Study using the helpful links given in this unit study – we have found that it has really enriched our learning experience.
Last *love* that I want to mention, at the back of the unit study the authors have included some wonderful pages on being safe and respecting nature. They have a list of useful things to include in your nature ramblers backpack and some good questions to ask oneself before setting out. This is not something I have come across before in a unit study so really appreciate these ‘basics’ being included.
I have to say that we are only half way through this product – and I am so happy about that as it means we still have much to glean over the coming autumn days 🙂
All in all – an excellent product and highly recommended Delightful Deciduous Trees NaturExplorers Unit Study!
More Nature Study Resources
- Nature Study Made Easy with NaturExplorers Nature Unit Studies
- 100+ Easy and Fun Creative Nature Walks
- Take Along Nature Guides for Homeschool
- Homeschool Outdoor Hour Challenges Using the Handbook of Nature Study
- The Best Homeschool Nature Study Resources
- Homeschool Nature Study Membership
~ Originally published October 2014, Written by Shirley Ann