If you have never heard of Evan-Moor I highly recommend you not only read this All About Plants Review but check all all the educational materials they have to offer.
Not only does Evan-Moor offer educational materials in reading, writing, spelling, science, geography and math, but they also offer homeschool curriculum bundles that are worth checking out.
All About Plants
When it came time to start our veggie garden, my six-year-old daughter couldn’t wait to help. She was filled with questions about how things grew. I wanted a little book that would explain simple botany concepts, one step at a time.
I found All About Plants, from Evan-Moor’s science series. This thematic book geared towards pre-K and kindergarten, provides full-color stories and ready-to-use activities that are botany based to teach skills and concepts across the whole early childhood curriculum.
It was lots of fun for my daughter.
All About Plants covers the following concepts:
- types of plants
- the parts of flowers
- parts of a tree
- plants that we eat
Many of the concepts are taught through coloring! When we finished in the garden, my six-year-old ran inside and did a page in All About Plants. She especially liked the cut and paste activities. I loved it when she showed me what she had learned in the garden the next day. Can’t get better hands on learning than that!
- This workbook is written to the child.
- The language is developmentally appropriate, clear and simply written.
- It teaches through coloring, cut and paste, read alouds, and a simple experiment.
One day we planted corn seeds together. We planted the seeds inside to protect them from the cold weather in the early spring. Waiting for the stems to appear was almost impossible for my daughter. But she kept busy studying the parts of the plant in All About Plants! Soon the early leaves appeared in our corn plant.
“That’s just like my book!” she exclaimed.
And as our seedlings grew in our garden, she could identify the parts of each plant. There is nothing like gardening with children! And All About Plants made it even better for my family. It helped my six-year-old to understand the true miracle of the growing and appreciate it all the more.
If you are looking for a fun, simple approach to science for your young child, check out All About Plants.
Where to Purchase
- Evan-Moor – On Evan-Moor’s website you can view a complete book, and purchase the e-book!
- Amazon – Amazon offers it in paperback form.
All About Plants is just one of a bunch of books in the Early Childhood Thematic Series. I highly recommend you check out some of the others!
There are other titles such as:
- All About My World
- All About the Farms
- All About the Ocean
- All About the Pond
- All About the Rainforest
- All About the Weather
More on Plants from The Curriculum Choice
- The Outdoor Homeschool: Take Your Homeschool Outside
- Tree Finder – Review of a Dichotomous Key for Plant Identification
- Garden Unit Study by Amanda Bennett
- The Handbook of Nature Study
- Botany in 8 Lessons A homeschool science course for all ages
- The Harvest Homeschool: Agricultural Activities for the Classroom
MORE EVAN-MOOR BOOK REVIEWS FROM THE CURRICULUM CHOICE
- Habitats Study
- Evan-Moor World Reference Maps & Forms
- History Pockets I & History Pockets II
- Spelling Skills & Building Spelling Skills
- Daily Word Problems
- ScienceWorks for Kids Series I & ScienceWords for Kids II
- Hands-On Elementary Science – ScienceWorks Book – Energy
- Daily Paragraph Editing
- Early Math – Geometric Shapes and Fractions
- Design a Poetry Unit with Read and Understand Poetry
- Sequencing Simple Stories
~Originally published March 2012 by Betsy