Rod and Staff Preschool Activity Books are full of fond memories for this Mama! This wonderful set is one of the resources we started homeschooling our eldest with in 2001.
Study Time Preschool Workbooks for ages 3-4
This set of books from Study Time Publishers are what Rod and Staff recommend for ages 3-4. They are “beginning activity books for your young child…made to provide introduction and practice in motor skills such and hand-eye coordination and visual comparison of objects…primary exposure to number concepts.”
What is in the set?
- About Three: A Beginning Activity Workbook for three or four year olds
- Bigger Steps: An Activity Book for four year olds
- Color, Count, and Cut: An Activity Colorbook for four year olds
- Doing My Best: A Preschool Activity Book
What we love!
- The simplicity
- The gentle approach, practice
- Short lessons
- The main characters – Samuel and Sarah
“Samuel and Sarah are three years old. They like to help their Dad and Mom work in the house and on the farm. Draw lines to match the pictures that are the same.”
How we use it in our home. In the past one of my children enjoyed these books as a late three- almost four-year-old. I’ve had a few that were so very ready to ‘do school’ like big brother and sister. Our fifth child started these books as a late four, almost five-year-old. He wasn’t quite ready to wield a pencil. And waiting until this age was just perfect for him. Oh how he delights in Samuel and Sarah and all their simple stories.
Rod and Staff Preschool Ages 4-5
I highly recommend all of the preschool books published by Rod and Staff. They have brought much joy to our homeschool and offered the slow and steady practice my children needed for a good foundation for learning.
You might be interested in the Preschool and First Grade curricula we enjoy in our homeschool as well as the Answers in Genesis preschool curriculum I have reviewed here at Curriculum Choice. We also have enjoyed Rod and Staff English for grades 2-9 and plan on grade 10 next year.
PURCHASING ROD AND STAFF PRESCHOOL ACTIVITY BOOKS
Milestone Books carries all the Rod and Staff Curriculum. Below you will find the links to both the Rod and Staff Preschool as well as a link to their suggested books for ages 3-4.
Rod and Staff Preschool (Ages 4-5) – The Rod and Staff Preschool Series is designed to awaken and shape the child’s mental and motor skills. As Rod and Staff’s alternative to kindergarten, this series is designed to be used by four- to five-year-olds as preparation for an average 6-year-old to start the first grade Bible Nurture and Reader Series, which begins with the basics in teaching language skills.
MORE ROD AND STAFF REVIEWS FROM THE CURRICULUM CHOICE
- A Time to Plant: Rod and Staff Reading Series by Adelien Tandian
- Learning Grammar with English Rod and Staff 6 by Adelien Tandian
- Rod and Staff Bible Stories to Read and Bible Picture to Color Review by Tricia
- Rod and Staff Preschool Activity Books Review by Tricia
- Rod and Staff English by Tricia
- Rod and Staff Grammar by Annie Kate
- A Look at Rod and Staff English – by Tonia
- Rod and Staff English – by Kristen
Homeschooling since 2000, Tricia faces a daily dose of chaos with five children. She has seen the fruits of home education with three grads so far! With their You ARE an artist art curriculum she, “Nana” and her family are passionate about growing a love of art. She also shares helpful homeschool habits at Hodgepodge and is author of the book, Help! I’m Homeschooling! She and her husband, Steve, are owners of The Curriculum Choice.