Explode the Code is a phonics based program I consider invaluable in helping my daughter learn to read!
Explode the Code Review
The series starts with three Primers, all introducing the child to the consonants sounds and written letters.
Then the series moves on to the vowels and basic phonics patterns in Book 1 and Book 2.
The best thing was that my daughter loved doing it! First thing in the morning, she would ask for her Explode the Code book.
This program did not require any prep on my part. All I needed to do was read any new letter sounds out loud, or read her “listening sentences” for her to write down. And of course, celebrate the learning!
We started with the Primers in kindergarten. Some families choose to do these in the preschool years.
The primer workbooks are entitled:
These books, full of child drawn illustrations, really caught my daughter’s eyes. Meanwhile, she was learning all the lower case letters and sounds.
The primers prepared her for the first official book in the series, Explode the Code, Book 1. Each lesson followed the same format with the fun child illustrations. My daughter quickly became independent in her work. Through reading, spelling, writing and copying, she prepared herself for early readers. She was so proud of herself.
Explode the Code then goes on to Book 2. (There are also additional workbooks labeled 1/2, such as Book 1 & ½ for extra practice).
Following the same consistent pattern, the series progressed to more advanced phonics, such as: consonant blends and phonetic patterns, preparing the child for intermediate reading. The consistent format and layout of the lessons helped make the learning easy.
As we continued in the series, with Book 3, Book 4, etc, my daughter strengthened her phonics skills and her reading. These more advanced books included breaking words into syllables, diagraphs, three letter blends, diphthongs, etc. These concepts were all laid out in an easily understandable manner and could still be done independently.
The Explode the Code offers a series through Book 8. We chose to work through Book 5, which, in my opinion, gave my daughter a solid foundation in phonics. She also became a good speller.
I would highly recommend Explode the Code for any family looking for a well thought out and FUN phonics program. Research shows that Explode the Code improves reading skills in the children that do this program.
Purchase Explode the Code
- Explode the Code is available on-line! That’s right you can now access Explode the Code on your iPad or favorite tablet device!
- Explode the Code is very affordable, less than $10.00 a workbook. You can find them at Educators Publishing Service and from many online homeschool curriculum stores like ChristianBook.
- Buy in sets or in singles at Amazon.
- Rainbow Resource often has Bargain Buy versions available. “Bargain Books” are brand new items that have minor physical blemishes due to shipping or handling that do not affect the use of the item.
More Explode the Code Reviews Here at The Curriculum Choice
- Get Ready for the Code Review – This fun pre-literacy workbook series (prek-1) teaches the 21 consonants, and their sounds as well as letter formation through visual, auditory, and kinesthetic activities. Check out this review from Cindy.
- Do Early Phonics with Explode the Code Primers – All of the Explode The Code primers offer easy to do and fun phonics learning. Each primer follows the same format, with illustrations drawn by children throughout the books. Each of the lessons uses a predictable sequence, and takes about a week to complete. Check out this review from Betsy
- Explode the Code – Explode the Code is a multisensory phonics program for grades pre-K -4, geared towards improving literacy with direct, systematic, phonics instruction. It can be a complete phonics program or a supplement to what you are already using. Check out this review.
Betsy blogs at BJ’s Homeschool, about the early years, high school & college and wrote – Homeschooling High School with College in Mind. She offers free homeschool help through messages at BJ’s Consulting, and has had her articles picked up by the Huffington Post.
Leila Rothermel says
We have been using Explode the Code Online this year and my first grader loves it! It gives him his own computer time and it makes the material come to life.
The teacher’s section shows me his progress and compares his work to others doing the same program. It’s great in that it assesses his progress and tailors his lessons.
It is a little expensive for a program that can’t be handed down to little brother, but we caught it on a deal on Homeschool Buyers Co-op.
Thank you for reviewing the primers. I will be considering a gentle curriculum for my 4 year old in the upcoming school year, and I think he will enjoy this!