This month we’ve found that Dover Publications adds the fun to homeschool science and writing! Would your children like to make a bouncy ball? Maybe build writing skills (and laugh!) with Create Your Own Story? Let me tell you more…
~Don’t miss the giveaway at the end!! We received these Dover Publications resources in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are our own and we love the benefits and blessings we are continuing to see! Please see our disclosure policy.
Remember, doing our studies together means less work for mom! Let me tell you about three Dover Publications we’ve been enjoying the last few weeks.
Dover Science Publications for Homeschool
We have been enjoying some fun science at our house with household items and recyclables we’ve had on hand. Science Around the House offers step-by-step, easy instructions for learning fun. Now we also have musicians so The Science of Sound has been a great bonus learning activity.
Science Around the House – as you can see, above, my middle schooler was able to gather the items needed and follow the instructions for making a bouncy ball. If you have a hands-on learner too, you and your child will love this. Note: many of the projects in the book do require adult supervision and these are indicated with a caution symbol on the top left or right of the page.
Science Around the House includes —> 57 <– learning projects for:
- Acid Rain
- A’MAZE’ing Plant!
- Bending Water
- Bouncy Ball
- Bud Study
- Cloning Plants
- Crayon Melts
- Digeridoos & Kazoos
- Eating Iron
- Building a Battery
- Egg Arch
- Egg Spinning
- Butterfly Feeder
- Eggshell Planters
- Fake Snot
- Fall Forecast
- Magnet Fishing Game
- Edible Insulation
- Thirsty Flowers
- Gummy Science
- For the Birds (making all sorts of bird feeders)
- Ice Melting Race
- Ice Cream in a Bag
- Invisible Ink
- Picture Magic and many, many more!
The Science of Sound – this resource is from Dover Publication’s Tabletop Scientist collection and includes projects and experiments with music and sound waves. Music is a very big part of our house so this book has been a welcome addition.
The Science of Sound includes:
- What is Sound?
- Sounds Underwater
- High or Low
- Hearing Sounds
- Where’s that Sound?
- Speed of Sound
- Bouncing Sound
- Making Sounds
- Soaking Up Sound
- Sound along a Line
- Recorded Sound
- History of Sound
Dover Writing Resources for Homeschool
Create Your Own Story activity set is a ready-made, open-it-up and go way to guarantee building writing skills in a fun way. (As you can tell from the smiles I captured, above, after my girls opened up the box!) “It’s just awesome!” – eight-year-old
When we opened up the box, my two younger girls spread it out and spent almost an hour creating stories and doing the silly stickers. Then I found my first grader making a comic strip (all on his own) a little bit later. The next afternoon, third grader was on the couch and finishing Create Your Own Pictures.
Create Your Own Story activity set includes:
- Write Your Own Story Coloring Book – 23 illustrations to color and write about
- Create Your Own Pictures Coloring Book – 45 unfinished picture to complete and color
- Crazy Lunch: Silly Sticker Story – 165 reusable stickers to create your own story
- Zany Zoo: Silly Sticker Story – 168 reusable stickers to write about the zoo (great follow up to our recent field trip!)
- bonus jumbo drawing pencil
How We Use Dover Publications in our Homeschool
These Dover Publications products complement and enhance what we are studying!
- Boosting writing skills – yes, we have writing assignments that coincide with our history and language arts studies. But the Create Your Own Story kit is something new, something fun and it has been great to break up the routine. (I love that it comes in its own storage case – pictured above)
- Hands on science fun – My middle schooler has been opening up Science Around the House and just doing the simple projects herself. It’s that simple! Plus, there are enough activities for at least once a week – many seasonal.
- More Dover Publications we’ve enjoyed: My review of Across the USA Fun Kit, Sea Life Field Guide and The Science of Water (another Tabletop Scientist series book).
Where can you find Dover Publications? Special Discount!
Find each of the titles at the Dover Publications website. Plus for a limited time, you can get 25% off your order. Just use code WHAL through 11/1/14. There are just SO many resources for your homeschool. Be sure to visit Dover Publications and browse their teacher resources section.
Now for the giveaway!
- (1) The Science of Sound
- (1) Science Around the House
- (1) Create Your Own Story Activity Set
Homeschooling for over fourteen years now, Tricia faces a daily dose of chaos with five children. She shares a mixture of art lessons, recipes and helpful homeschool habits at Hodgepodge. She and her husband, Steve (who writes app and technology reviews), are co-owners of Curriculum Choice.
Rebekah Shaver says
Human Anatomy in Full Color would be a FABULOUS introduction to my 4 children before we study Anatomy in a few years.
I would love to use “Science Around the House” at home and with my co-op class!
Nicole M says
My daughter would enjoy Horse Anatomy and Great Horse Stories, and Science around the House.
We always enjoy science projects around the house as well as music related activities. I’m looking for ways to enhance my children’s writing skills as well making this set a great addition to our library!
Kimberly R says
I am going to teach my children about the 50 States soon. I have seen they offer several different activity books about them and would love to be able to use them. 🙂
Tammy Jones says
Science Around the House would be loved by all. The Red Badge of Courage looks great, too.
I love the history related coloring books. The pictures are accurate and help with younger ones during reading aloud. I think the U.S. resources could be good this year with American History.